Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Y6 D23

Last night was incredible. Not the smartest decisions made all around, but still an incredible night. Which is good because the day part was awful. Like really bad. I got up around 5 and set up my work area for the class which was scheduled to start at 7:30. I went downstairs and had breakfast. No issues yet. I am all setup and ready to go when class starts. First issue - the instructor is from Argentina and his accent is so thick I am getting one in four words. I was going to be good and actually follow along with him but after 15 minutes I couldn't. I said the hell with it and jumped ahead. He left off on Chapter 7 last night, I am on Chapter 9. The other big problem is that the book and the material he is showing on the screen don't line up. The manual is written in paragraph format whereas the presentation was slides. I couldn't figure out where he was on certain things and that was annoying as hell. BUT that pales in comparison to what the hotel did. Turns out they are remodeling the entire 4th floor. Which was not mentioned on their website or the reservation. At 8am, the amount of banging, hitting, etc that came from above me was intolerable. A few times the entire room shook like an earthquake. I started going off on Hilton on twitter. People can laugh at twitter and its inane posts but I have come to realize that it is an excellent medium when you need a company to respond. And respond they did. By 2pm I had a new room with an upgraded floor plan and a balcony. We shall see today if the noise issue is gone.

During the class I exchanged emails with my boss. We made dinner plans and I got my next trip all booked. I am going back to Tulsa for two days. I leave the day after B gets back which means we will see each other for about 15 hours before I am gone. That part sucks but it gets me more points and miles.

When class was over I got ready for dinner. My boss decided on Mastro's which I haven't been to in a long while. It is one of the best steak and seafood restaurants in the world as far as I am concerned. They only have a few locations but man it is so good. I got to the restaurant around 5:30 and my boss showed up about 20 minutes later. Got seated right away. We then proceeded to order:

2 bottles, 2010 Gigondas
Couple of cocktails
Him: 33oz Tomahawk cut Waygu steak, seared ahi appetizer
Me: bone marrow app, wedge salad, 22oz porterhouse (black and blue)
Truffle mac and cheese
Sauteed asparagus
2 cherry crisps
port
Dolce dessert wine

Damage? $495 before tip. We left a $100 tip. So yeah, the two of us spent 3.5 hours having a $600 dinner for 2. Like I said, not the smartest decision. But I think we both needed it. He has an almost 2 year old at home and I have been stressed out a lot lately. Now we didn't 'pay' for it which makes it easier, but it will still be hard to explain to our big bosses why we spent that much. We decided he is going to submit it as '2014 Department Xmas Party'. Yep. I am good with that.

Got back to the hotel around 9:30, talked to B for a little while, and went to bed. Once again I had an excellent night's sleep. Time for day two of class. Then I am going to head home around 9 or 10 tonight. That way I get home at a semi-decent time and can sleep like a normal person.

No comments:

Post a Comment